Saturday, May 3, 2014

Jamberry Take Two

Recently I decided to try my hand with the Jamberry Nails.  For those of you who don't know what it is, Jamberry is a Direct Selling company that makes nail wraps.  They come in fun awesome colors and designs.  Nail wraps are basically stickers that you put on top of your nails.

Visit the Jamberry site here for more info.

Jamberry however uses heat to apply the product.  You can get a Jamberry heater direct from the company or use your own.  I used both.  We have a portable heater (not Jamberry) that I used.  I do find that the blow dryer works better because you can easily direct the heat and focus on where you need it to be.



Now yes I've done this twice now.  This is my second try at Jamberry because my friend Heather and other ladies I know really love Jamberry and swear by it.

Instructions seem fairly straightforward and are pretty easy.

The first time I tried Jamberry it didn't go very well.  They didn't stick and some slid right off the day after.
There was lines and lumps everywhere and the most annoying thing was that my hair would get pulled out by it if I brushed my hair back with my hand.

The first time I used vinegar to clean my nails (like the package suggested).  This time I used just plain rubbing alcohol and it seemed to stick better.

So Heather suggested to try it again.  So back to the drawing board with a different set of nails.



I researched the best method.  I was told that using a plastic sandwich bag under the heater seals it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAPUuyEF6s

That was the first method I tried and it left a ton of lines. Not sure if it was the method or if it was just me??   So now we're going to try to the wet face cloth method.  This seemed to work better.

I put a wet face cloth in the microwave for 2 minutes and then put it in a clear sandwich bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1unBxZzNsw

This seemed to work really well but by the time I got to the 2nd hand the wash cloth seemed to be cold and didn't work as well.  So I might need to reheat it to get it hot again before proceeding next time.



Another thing that Heather suggested was to use a really coarse nail file.  I went out and got a new file specifically for this experiment.  Make sure when you file the nail you file it at the proper angle to just get the nail tip not the top of the nail.  I think this may be where I went wrong.


I really love the colors and designs of the Jamberry nails.  And I have to admit that this time it went a lot better.  Four out of 10 of my nails seem almost perfect.  There are no lines or bumps in them.  



However the 6 are driving me a bit crazy.  

You can see the lines at the tips here.  I think that you have to be very conscious to make sure that you stretch the wrap tight while it is warm and you have to be very diligent in pushing and smoothing down.   You need to make sure that you don't touch the adhesive a lot with your finger tips as the oil from your fingers can cause it to not stick.




In the end.  I will probably do these again.  I am obsessed with getting this down and perfected. I know it can be done as I do have 4 smooth nails!   I love all the colors and the designs and I think for a novice it doesn't look totally horrible.  I just have to figure it out!! 

If you want some fun with your nails these are definitely it.  It is time consuming but the end result can be so cool.  They say it lasts 10 days or 2 weeks, depending upon how fast your nails grow.  Let's see how long I can handle this for. 




I got so many compliments on my manicure yesterday.  Everyone thought it looked great and it was a lot of fun.  I even got a ring to match!!!  (ring from Grace Adele collection www.ilovehandbags.ca)



5 comments:

  1. Love the tips to using these nail stickers. And I see the website for the ring!! Thanks
    Dean Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting some more tips here...............
    When you put the wrap on your nail,smooth the center first and then move out to the sides. After it has been put down, you can lift it back up and stretch a bit to get the bubbles out Just make sure you heat and pressure after. If you make a big mistake, just take the whole wrap off, heat it up again and reapply. They are fairly forgiving while you are putting them on and they haven't "set" yet. Also, waiting until they have cooled before you file off the ends. I usually put them all on, then do my filing. I use a crystal/glass file and it is amazing! - Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. also use the vinegar/alcohol wipe on each finger right before I'm about to apply the wrap. i wipe before holding the wrap in front of the heater and it's dry by the time I go to put the wrap on This avoids transfer of oils when just moving your hand around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One good tip...always size down, if it touches your cuticle anywhere along the edges, it will not form a good seal. Some "side nail" is good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tricia for the tips!!! I redid some of my boo boo's and they turned out way better!! I think the real key is to remember to let them cool before you trim them!

    ReplyDelete