Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Speaking at the May 14th Valley Women's Network (Evening Chapter) Meeting

I was recently asked by my friend, Cristine Trischuk (Valley Women's Network, Evening Chapter Coordinator) to be one of the speakers at the next meeting. 

The Valley Women's Network is a great group of ladies that I happened to just find one day when I was surfing the net.  I was looking for new and creative ways to promote my Scentsy business.  I thought it was a great idea to get out and meet new people and expand my network.  I figured it couldn't hurt to check it out.  I immediately was hooked.  Let's face it, its still tough being a woman in today's business industry.  Although its 2013 and women are allowed the same rights as a man, it still sometimes seems like an "Old Boys" network at times.  Old Boys Network is used as an idiom, a metaphor to describe an informal interrelation of men. Believe it or not it was an actual club that was formed in the early 1900's of men that just wanted to network.

Now, don't get me wrong I am in no way a feminist. But I have been told by many of my male coworkers that women don't get ahead in business as much as men do because they are way too competitive with each other and just don't support one another as a man does.  Women are often seen as gossiping in the work place and trying to undermine one another by stabbing each other in the back.  Really???  come one its 2013 are we still doing that? Well at least we are still seen that way by (some) both men and women. 

Organizations like VWN prove that theory wrong.  That is purely nothing more than a stereotype and not every woman can be painted with that brush.  These are a great group of ladies and I'm honoured to be asked to be one of the speakers and happy to be a member of this group.  We are a network of  business women who are smart, driven and want to succeed. 

I am excited to speak but yet nervous.  Although I am used to public speaking and to have done many presentations I am still getting butterflies on this one. 

If you are in the Vancouver Lower Mainland & Fraser Valley area and would like to join me at the VWN meeting please come out.  Guests are always welcomed! 

For more information about the VWN and the event, please visit the website by clicking on this link

The VWN was founded in 1980.  It's purpose is "to bring together women of all walks of life for personal and professional growth, to initiate contact between women, to provide a comfortable environment for sharing common career and social concerns, and to offer self-development opportunities. Women have come to our Network to meet other women, to make business contacts and to make friends. The Valley Women’s Network is a non-partisan, non-religious, non-affiliated group and does not have any particular single focus interest. It does not lobby for any cause or idea."



3 comments:

  1. Have you read Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg? It talks exactly about women in business. I think you might enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am going to checkout the book. I think you're right I might just enjoy that one!!!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. All I can say is thank god there is a wine tasting that night!! lol

    ReplyDelete