Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Velata Cheese Review (Cheddar, Fiesta Queso & Smoked Gouda)


I was so excited that Velata finally released cheese!!  My order arrived on Friday.  I told Matt to not make any plans for dinner as we were going to try the new cheese!!!

The first one we tried was "Cheddar".  

We used the following food for dippers:

-  hot dogs (pre-cooked)
- mushrooms
- apples (sliced)
- tostitos
- broccoli & cauliflower (lightly blanched)
- potatoes (pre-baked in oven, we used new potatoes sliced thin)
- cherry tomatoes

Rating:  Good

We did find that the cheese was a bit thicker than what we preferred.  I put some milk in it and it seemed to make the consistency less thick.  I personally thought it was a bit on the salty side.  The hot dogs were too salty for me but the veggies were fantastic dipped in the Cheddar.  My husband and I quite enjoyed it with a nice bottle of Chardonnay.  I love the ease of the product.  I heated the tub in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirred it and heated it again for another 10 seconds before putting it into my Velata warmer.  I did preheat the Velata warmer on high prior to putting in the cheese.  As a meal the full tub of cheese was good for the two of us.  Clean up is such a breeze too.  I just used warm soap and water to clean out the Velata silicone dish.  Pretty easy!!! 







The next day a good friend of ours came over.  We were sitting around catching up and enjoying a bottle of wine.  Pinot Gris was the flavour of the day.  Seemed like a good idea to try the "Fiesta Queso".  



Rating:  Very Good

The Fiesta Queso was perfect with Tostitos Scoops and some salsa.  It was the perfect combination of cheese and spice.  I personally love things the spicier, the better!  However to me it was very mild.  But Matt said it he thought it had a good kick to it!  
I added milk to it as well.  We didn't heat the whole tub this time, as it was just an appetizer and snack.  I put the rest of the tub in the fridge so we can use it later.

Tonite, I thought for the "Smoked Gouda" I would try something completely different than just the regular cheese fondue.  Let's face it smoked Gouda is gonna be great no matter what you do to it right???

Tonite for dinner we are having Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon with Velata Smoked Gouda.   Here's what you will need:

4 boneless chicken breasts
4 slices bacon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
- Combine, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
- Flatten chicken breasts to approx 1/4" thickness.
- Season both sides of chicken with the cayenne mixture.
- Wrap each breast with a bacon slice and then brown over medium heat until bacon just begins to crisp.

Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.

Melt the Smoked Gouda according to the instructions.  Add a bit of milk to it to get the right liquid consistency and pour over top of each chicken breast.



Rating:  Totally AWESOME! 

What an easy recipe and a simple way to punch up a meal!   The Smoked Gouda was very tasty and had just the right amount of smoke.  It left such a wonderful taste in my mouth.  Combined with the bacon it was the perfect combination.
Ok I admit some of the cheese sauce may have wandered over towards my steamed veggies and oven roasted potatoes!  It was a fabulous meal!  Where is my wine???!! LOL

Overall the Smoked Gouda has been our favorite.  We have yet to try the Bacon & Cheddar and will probably test that out next week!  I am completely sold on the Gouda and will be testing it out on other foods and recipes!

For a complete ingredients list and FAQ of Velata cheese please click here

To learn more about Velata or to purchase please visit my site www.vancouverlovesfondues.ca we deliver anywhere in Canada or the USA.





4 comments:

  1. Great review. Smoked Gouda is our favorite as well, followed by the Queso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty!!! I agree the Smoked Gouda is our fav and then the Queso. I am excited to try more things with both of them!!

      Delete
  2. OK gotta admit even leftover Chicken wrapped in Bacon with Smoked Gouda is GOOD!! YUM and I normally don't like leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another fabulous tip from a good Velata customer. To thin out the cheese use White Wine instead of Milk. GREAT tip!! I am thinking I will try that!!!

    ReplyDelete